Mammography is an x-ray test of the breasts used to screen for potential medical concerns, such as detection of a lump, or to aid in diagnosis, such as determining whether a lump is a solid mass or a cyst filled with fluid. Regular mammography screenings are widely believed to be important in the early detection and prevention of breast cancer in women.
Digital mammography results in shorter exam times when compared to film-based mammography. The image quality of digital and analog systems is comparable, but use of digital technology offers greater image flexibility.
Our full-field digital mammography system combines the latest advances in technology with sophisticated information management capabilities to provide highly accurate and efficient mammography exams. Since the images are stored electronically, the Radiologist is able to zoom in and out, making detection much easier.
· Our staff will contact you prior to your scheduled appointment date to confirm your upcoming visit. Be sure to inform the scheduler if you have breast implants or a personal history of breast cancer. To make your visit as quick as possible, we will make every effort to pre-register you for your visit.
On the day of your visit:
· Please bring a photo ID, your insurance information and the prescription (for diagnostic mammograms only) from your physician to your appointment. If you are having a screening mammogram, you do not need a prescription.
· We recommend you wear a two-piece outfit so that you will only need to disrobe from the waist up. Please refrain from using any deodorant, lotions, powders, perfumes, or any other products on your upper torso or arms, as they may contain minerals that interfere with the results of your study.
· It is important to notify your technologist if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
· You may eat, drink and take medications as usual unless you are advised differently.
· Our radiologists will interpret your images and send a report directly to your doctor. Your doctor will communicate the results of your exam to you.